Saturday, August 10, 2013

August 10 for 10 Picture Book Event 2013




Though it was nearly impossible to limit the list to ten, I have managed to do so. Here they are in ABC order. 



Boot & Shoe is written and illustrated by Marla Frazee
It is charming, funny, and I loved the message about differences and friendship. It would be a wonderful read aloud.    




Chick ‘n’ Pug is written and delightfully illustrated by Jennifer Gordon Sattler
It is just plain fun!  




Each Kindness is written by Jacqueline Woodson and illustrated by E. B. Lewis
If you are a fan of The Hundred Dresses by Eleanor Estes, you'll love this book which is similar, but updated and in picture book form.    




Goldilocks and the 3 Dinosaurs is retold and illustrated by Mo Willems 
This is one of the most enjoyable retells around.  Mo Willems is a genius. Funny words. Funny illustrations. Rife with opportunities to predict and infer.  




How to Catch a Star is written and illustrated by Oliver Jeffers Will 
Simple, imaginative, and perfect to use for inference.  





Is That You, Monster?: Check Inside the Secret Pockets If You Dare! by Steve Cox
This falls under the category of deliciously scary. The right kiddo will love it. I might not put it in my classroom, but I would read it again and again with my grandson. It is a great lap book.  




Looking for a Moose is written by Phyllis Root and illustrated by Randy Cecil
The text is sing-songy and fun to read. The illustrations are darling. It would be a fun read aloud, but an even better lap book with one or two children so you can pour over the pictures together looking for a moose. 





Oh, No! is written by Candace Fleming and illustrated by Eric Rohmann
Simple, rhythmic text. Rain forest creatures. Great pictures. Loved it. 



Old bear and His Cub is written and illustrated by Olivier Dunrea
It is a very sweet story. I choked up a little because I am getting to the age where I am beginning to care for my parents.




 Plant a Kiss is written by Amy Krouse Rosenthal and illustrated by Peter H. Reynolds
I am a huge fan of author and illustrator. They are perfect together. I couldn't help but love it.  

5 comments:

  1. Great list - I hadn't heard of Looking for a Moose. I will be tracking that one down. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice! Off to add these to my request list at the library.

    Here's my list: Top Ten Edgy Picture Books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great list! I need to find Looking for Moose. I love Boot and Shoe and Goldilocks & the Three Dinosaurs, and so did my students!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We LOVE Boot and She and we need to add Chick n' Pug to our library! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lori,
    So glad you joined with your favorites. I always enjoy your book selections. I'm hoping to track down Looking for Moose and Is That You Monster?

    Cathy

    ReplyDelete