Saturday, August 11, 2012

August 10 for 10 Picture Book Event 2012

Beautiful, Beautiful Picture Books, how can I choose just ten of you?  Alas....I must.  This years choices are:
14 Cows for America by Carmen Agra Deedy
Stunningly beautiful remembrance and honor to the memory of 9/11.
A Seed is Sleepy by Dianna Hutts Aston Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful....rich in illustrations and vocabulary.
And Then It's Spring by Julie Fogliano  A lovely story! It makes me want to put an end to all the brown as well.

Boy and Bot by Ame Dyckman
I loved this story of a boy, a robot, and misunderstandings.

Green by Laura Vaccaro Seeger - This lovely book celebrates all the shades of green.

Over and Under the Snow by Kate Messner - This is a must add if you want mentor texts for Writer's Workshop
The Golden Rule by Ilene Cooper - Over 120 languages are spoken in my highly diverse district. This beautiful read aloud honors our diversity while helping to build classroom community by instilling the importance of honoring and respecting one another.
Out of Sight by Francesco Pittau - This is a stunning and interesting lift the flap/pop-up book. Kids would love it. I loved it. However, it is oversized, which would make it hard to shelve in my classroom. Not sure how long the pop-ups would last without being damaged, but it would be beloved as long as it lasted. A simple fact behind each flap makes it a great non-fiction book for early readers.


Stars by Marla Frazee - Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star.....what a wonderful book you are!

Thank You, World by Alice McGinty - Stunning artwork, beautiful language, culturally diverse. A great book!

2 comments:

  1. I've added Thank you World to my shopping list. So thank YOU for your recommendation.
    I, too, list 14 cows as one of my top 10.
    Tammy
    Apples with Many Seeds

    ReplyDelete