Wednesday, August 10, 2011

August 10 for 10: Picture Book Event



We Are in a Book! is just one of the many books we read by the brilliant Mo Willems.  I hope I get to hug him in person one day and thank him for the endearing and engaging books that emergent and reluctant readers will read over and over.  Genius!






Silver Seeds by Paul Paolilli is stunningly beautiful and a must when we study and write poetry. 







My Lucky Day is the one I start with when we do a Keiko Kasza author study.  It's a fun read aloud, funny, and a lot to think about in terms of what is truly happening with this tricky little pig.






The Ok Book By Amy Krouse Rosenthal is one we read early in the year.  We are all good at some things, and ok at most...and that's ok.


Night of the Veggie Monster by George McClements makes me laugh!  This poor kid hates peas so much that if even one touches his tongue he turns into a veggie monster.  Having gotten in trouble for spitting mine into a napkin and the toilet when I was young, I can relate.        






 
 Chicken Butt by Erica S. Perl is a guilty pleasure since I wasn’t allowed to say “butt” when I was growing up.  My students feel the same.  Jacob read it at least a hundred times before relinquishing it to a friends book box.






Walk On! By Marla Frazee is a must in our room because we can all relate to the struggle of trying to learn something new.  It is a book for all ages, because the steps we follow as we move towards new goals are very much the same as this adorable baby takes.







Superhero ABC by Bob McLeod is fun and wacky and imaginative.  Each unusual hero has skills to match their designated letter.  Bubble-Man not only blows bubbles at bad guys…but he’s bald.    




Pickle-Chiffon Pie by Jolly Roger Bradfield is a silly kid pleaser with a really sweet message.









Four Feet, Two Sandals by Karen Lynn Williams is a must since our school is so diverse.  Life in a refugee camp and the desire to come to America is very real for some of our students.  In this book, two girls find a way to share one pair of sandals.





5 comments:

  1. I always forget about My Lucky Day and I don't know Pickle Chiffon Pie--excited to find it:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Four Feet Two Sandals. Great tie in with the social studies curriculum. And I can totally relate to the pea-thing in the Night of Veggie Monster. I'm going to look for Chicken Butt.
    Thanks for the recommendations.
    Tammy
    Apples with Many Seeds

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for joining us. Silver Seeds in one I want to look at further.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I met Mo Willems.. I actually took the Kam kids with J and I and we saw him talk at that cool bookstore up in the U Village... we LOVE his books!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want to seek out Silver Seeds. I bought Four Feet Two Sandals for the EP library. I hope it is still there!

    ReplyDelete